By Paris Brown, NNPA Newswire Contributor
The Bake with Paris is a brand-new series in the Black Press presented by 13-year-old Paris Brown. Paris loves to bake and over her summer vacation, she will write about some of her best experiences.
Paris will also include her recipes. Please enjoy.
My house is officially out of sweets.
We ate all of my cheesecake cookies, and it’s been rough ever since.
So, I’m back with another cookie recipe, but it’s not your traditional chocolate chip. It’s brown butter chocolate chip cookies.
I remember watching a video about brown butter and how to use it. Since my family wanted cookies, I started to think, why not replace regular old butter with brown butter?
And I was so right about it. It takes your classic chocolate chip to a whole other level.
The brown butter gives a nice nutty flavor and complements the chocolate so well.
Once you try it, you’ll never want to eat another store-bought cookie again!
Before I had the brown butter discovery, I tried to find ways to elevate a regular chocolate chip cookie. First, I added toasted coconut flakes. Then I tried nuts and different varieties of chocolates.
Lastly, I decided to add all of them but none of them were any different.
But with the brown butter, it’s not just an added topping; it’s the cookie itself that tastes so much richer in flavor. They really are addicting, so be careful!
Mondo Brown Butter Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted brown butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 oz chocolate chips or chunks
- Making the brown butter: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to make sure the butter is cooking evenly. Then, the butter will begin to foam. Once the butter is graham cracker colored and smells nutty, take it off the heat. It should take 5-10 mins. Then put in a bowl and let solidify.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In another large bowl, cream brown butter, unsalted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until there’s no lumps. Then add egg and vanilla extract until light ribbons fall off the whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold the mixture with a spatula. Don’t over mix, it’ll make the cookies cake-like and tough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Scoop the dough with an ice cream scooper onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. (If you don’t want your cookies mondo, you can use a spoon to scoop on the tray)