by: Gabrielle Miller
Carver High School, Aldine ISD
1. Realizing that for every action there is a reaction. What you do determines were and how hard you will fall.
2. When at parties or events never leave your beverage unmonitored if so replace it.
3. Drinking for teens is not a myth, but when choosing to do so never drink more than what your body can endure or around those who are irresponsible. When putting yourself in that predicament understand that your body needs to be around someone that is mentally mature; someone that can monitor your every move (I am not condoning under age drinking but it is reality).
4. When going out take the responsibility to let someone know where you are and who you are with. If you are put in harm’s way who will know?
5. Never drink and drive or get in a car with someone who is drinking. If you are “tipsy” understand that just because you’re not drunk does not mean that a life cannot be taken.
6. When having sexual intercourse remain protected. Never listen to “I know what I’m doing…I know when and when it’s not coming”. He may know but you can still be putting yourself in danger. “We can always do the pull out method”, understand that method is a theory and will only cause semen to erupt quicker than ever because of force friction. But when considering unprotected sex get tested.
7. Marijuana; this substance is the new cigarette for teens. As you may hear weed has no effects but it does. It can cause emphysema (Emphysema occurs when the air sacs in your lungs are gradually destroyed, making you progressively more short of breath) and Irritability can be related to psychiatric conditions, such as anxiety disorders, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, schizoid and schizotypal personality disorders). These effects are both life threatening symptoms that occurs, however; they are not the only ones. When smoking one needs to understand the repercussions and that this substance is just like drinking.
8. Have fun but when doing so be in the right place and around the right people. You may not being doing wrong but when the people around you are…everyone goes to jail including the innocent.
9. When a lesson is learned never allow yourself to be placed right back into the same situation. Do not allow the peer pressure to influence you or your actions. Gain your own self will and determination.
10. Importantly, do not try to find who you are by degrading who yourself in any form.