By: Jolanda Jones
Mitt Romney says things that disrespect us almost every day. Here’s his latest: “There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.” He also talked about how he has no responsibility as it relates to us notwithstanding he’d be president of the United States and we’d be paying taxes. Here’s why he’s wrong
1) I do not believe that 47% of my President Barack Obama’s supporters are any more dependent on the government as Romney supporters are. Many of Romney supporters are beneficiaries of government bailouts, including those to banks, agricultural, housing, environmental and educational subsidies, Medicare, government contracts, earmarks, tax shelters, loop holes and right offs. There are hundreds of more but I’m tired of talking about them.
2) Romney is cruel, dangerous and wrong to say that people are not entitled to food. Without food, we all die. Enough said on this topic.
3) He’s flawed in that he doesn’t believe we are entitled to health care. That’s BS. As an elected official he believed he was entitled to healthcare for himself and his family. His healthcare and that of other public officials was paid by the use of tax payer dollars yet he doesn’t want the money we pay into taxes to be used to help us get healthcare. Many of his supporters want tax breaks and write offs so they can have health insurance. Hypocrites.
4) He’s wrong to believe that Obama supporters aren’t entitled to housing, which is a basic need, when he and many of his supporters feel entitled to tax breaks and special treatment so that they can keep their luxurious housing in the form of mansions, motor coaches, waterfront properties and yachts and pools and decks, etc. What’s good for his goose is good for our gander.
5) He whines about us believing we are victims, which is not true, yet he’s whining about him and many of his supporters being victims because they are trying to weasel and whine out of having to pay their fair share of taxes.
Romney and many of his supporters have declared war on non-rich people. If he gets elected to the presidency, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, ObamaCare, school and housing and agricultural funding, pensions, etc. are all in danger of being cut. And if that funding does get cut, the schools, parks, libraries, jobs, etc. that gets cut first will absolutely be ours.
My Grand Mommy told me when someone tells you who they are, believe them. Well, Romney is telling us who he is and that he does not have a responsibility to the poor and the middle class people like us. He is only concerned with taking care of the rich. If you think its hard now, then wait until he’s elected. You had better be afraid and run and vote for President Obama to be re-elected for another four years because maybe then, President Obama can get us out of this financial, ethically and morally corrupt grave that eight years of George Bush and Romney-types have buried us in. As I was taught in African culture and from SHAPE Community Center: There is no you without me, there is no me without you, we are a community of interdependence. In other words, it takes a village. A safety net does need to be there because we have all needed help at one point or another. That’s why we pay taxes so when we need help, it’s there for us. Our tax dollars shouldn’t just be used to give rich people and businesses breaks when they need it. Romney is all about corporate welfare and taking from the poor and ignoring them to keep the rich, rich. Please believe me when I tell you that. Please vote President Obama. He’s done well by us the last four years, especially considering he inherited George Bush’s mess.
By: Jolanda Jones